Taking Up the Right Tests to Study or Work Abroad

IELTS, CAE, FCE or TOEFL confused about English exams? Before you know, which exam to take you must understand why to take these exams. Generally, non-English speaking individuals take up these exams in order to study or work in English speaking countries like USA, UK, Australia etc. Each country accepts different exams, for example, TOEFL is preferred for USA. This tests ensure you receive warm smile for the word “hello” or watch a blank face staring at you for an alien word you just uttered.

Why take these exams?


If you are planning to apply for university in any of the English speaking country and you are non-native to this country, your university may ask for a scorecard of any English standardized test like IELTS, CAE, FCE and TOEFL. Sometimes people looking to work abroad in English speaking countries also take up these tests. These type of tests evaluate whether you can listen, read, write, and speak English language.

Different kinds of English exams


Generally there two institutions which dominate in conducting these exams, one is ETS and other is University of Cambridge. ETS conducts TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication) while University of Cambridge conduct IELTS (International English Language Testing System), BULATS (Business Language Testing Service), FCE (First Certificate of English), and CAE (Certificate in Advanced English).

All these exams test your English communication skills but that does not mean you can take up any exam to get admission or job in English speaking countries. Focus of exams conducted by ETS and University of Cambridge is different. ETS exams focus on North American style of English. These exams are computer based and have multiple-choice questions.

Exams conducted by University of Cambridge focuses British style of English. These tests cover wider aspect of English language. Tests include variety of questions like multiple choice, filling blanks, matching etc. Even the accents covered by these exams will be wider in range.

Choosing best option


If you are looking to go for higher education, you can take up TOEFL or IELTS. Both are considered as qualifying exams into universities. However, exam preferences differ depending on the country you are looking to apply. Canada, United States of America and some other countries prefer TOEFL while countries like Australia and New Zealand prefer IELTS scores.

FCE and CAE are preferred by the universities present in European Union. For educational purpose TOEFL and IELTS academic exams are highly recommended. If you are looking for better career prospects in English speaking countries TOEIC or IELTS general tests are preferred by the employers. These tests are necessary to certify your ability to communicate in English language at workplace.

Sometimes employers ask for specific test but if not then FCE or CAE are highly recommended. If you are looking to just improve your skills in English language. FCE and CAE are the best exam to test your skills. These exams are well designed for the advanced learners, hence it is recommended if you’re not a native English speaker to take an IELTS preparation course or other English exam courses. These tests cover almost all aspects of English learning and everyday use of language.

It is important you choose the best suitable tests based upon your needs. For further information on these tests visit official sites.